Posted 27 сентября 2021,, 12:41

Published 27 сентября 2021,, 12:41

Modified 24 декабря 2022,, 22:36

Updated 24 декабря 2022,, 22:36

The organizer of the hike to Elbrus, where the climbers died, detained

27 сентября 2021, 12:41
The Investigative Committee detained the organizer of the Elbrus climb, as a result of which five people died on September 23.

According to TASS, citing data from the Investigative Directorate of the Investigative Committee of Russia in Kabardino-Balkaria, the detained organizer of the campaign has already been interrogated.

"The Investigative Directorate of the Investigative Committee will file a petition with the court to elect him a preventive measure in the form of detention", - the message says.

Earlier it was reported that during the hike on September 23-24, victims of an unsuccessful ascent to Elbrus became five people. 20 people went on a hike to Elbrus: 16 tourists and four guides. The ascent was made by people over the age of 30, who came from 11 regions of Russia. Having reached an altitude of 5400 m, the group got into a snow storm and on the evening of September 23 requested assistance from the Ministry of Emergency Situations.

At about 10 o'clock in the morning on September 23, the group reached a plateau, after which one of the participants in the hike became ill. She, accompanied by a guide, began to descend to normalize the pressure, while the rest of the group continued their ascent. The group moved on, but after 10 minutes a storm broke out, the pressure dropped, and the wind began to blow from the bottom up. Visibility dropped to half a meter. The remaining three guides decided to go down, dividing the participants into "fast" and "slow". Two tourists died on the trail - from hypothermia. Two more fainted and died at the Garabashi station.

The assistant of the guide Igor Dankov was engaged in the descent of the first girl to the saddle. On the way, the tourist lost consciousness and died in the arms of the guide. The guide waited for the group until 15:00, tried to contact the Ministry of Emergencies, but in the end decided to move independently. He was the first to inform the coordinator of the stuck group, and the Ministry of Emergency Situations began a rescue operation.

Both the tourists themselves and the guides accompanying them received severe frostbite in the squally wind in severe frost. At the same time, one of the guides lost his sight due to a blizzard.

According to the Ministry of Emergency Situations, rescuers began a search operation on the evening of September 23, having received a distress signal. The searches were carried out in difficult weather conditions at an altitude of more than 5 km, with low visibility, snowstorms, 20-degree frost and wind with gusts up to 40 m / s. The search lasted more than seven hours.

Almost all of the survivors were hospitalized with severe frostbite, one victim had a broken leg. According to media reports, four tourists from Yakutsk, St. Petersburg, Togliatti and Yekaterinburg, as well as one climber from Tyumen, were killed. The age of the victims was from 32 to 40 years. Rescued tourists from Moscow, St. Petersburg, Novorossiysk, Chelyabinsk and Perm.

Investigative Committee of Russia in the region began a pre-investigation check after reports of death climbers, and then opened a criminal case for improper service.