The State Duma Committee on Defense rejected rumors about the upcoming general mobilization

News
The State Duma Committee on Defense rejected rumors about the upcoming general mobilization
The State Duma Committee on Defense rejected rumors about the upcoming general mobilization
5 May, 10:21SocietyPhoto: Медиахолдинг1Mi/Фотобанк Ура.Медиа
Yuri Shvytkin, Deputy Chairman of the State Duma Committee on Defense, said that the rumors about the general mobilization of the population allegedly being prepared in Russia are not true.

According to Deputy Shvytkin, reports of mobilization have no basis.

“These rumors appear with reference to foreign sources in order to sow some confusion, panic among the population,” Interfax quoted the deputy as saying.

The Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation stressed that service in Ukraine from Russia is carried out exclusively by contract soldiers. At the same time, it was previously reported that martial law was introduced on the territory of Ukraine after the start of the Russian military special operation and the mobilization of the population was announced.

The day before, a number of Western media reported that on May 9, President Vladimir Putin could officially announce the start of the war and general mobilization. However, on May 4 this information was refuted by the Kremlin. Press Secretary of the President of the Russian Federation Dmitry Peskov said that rumors about the beginning of mobilization should not be believed.

“This is not true, this is nonsense,” Peskov said .

The special operation of the Russian Federation on the territory of Ukraine has been going on since February 24. During the fighting, more than 5.5 million refugees left the country. UN civilian casualties are estimated at more than 3,000 people. On April 16, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky announced that the losses among the military personnel of the Armed Forces of Ukraine range from 2.5 to 3 thousand people killed and up to 10 thousand wounded. Earlier it was reported that since May 2015, the loss of personnel of the Russian Defense Ministry "in peacetime during special operations" is a military secret .

Since March 2022, when publishing such data, the media have been prohibited from using unofficial sources under the threat of criminal prosecution, therefore, the publication of operational reports without the sanction of the Ministry of Defense is impossible. According to the official data of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation, as of March 5, the losses of the Russian army in Ukraine amounted to 1351 people, since then the data has not been officially updated.

Found a typo in the text? Select it and press ctrl + enter