Posted 28 июня 2020, 20:44

Published 28 июня 2020, 20:44

Modified 24 декабря 2022, 22:37

Updated 24 декабря 2022, 22:37

Изображение материала

The Investigative Committee of Russia began checking messages about another environmental emergency at the Norilsk Nickel facility

28 июня 2020, 20:44
Фото: Новая Газета
The Investigative Committee gave start to the checking after the information appeared that an illegal dumping of liquid waste into the tundra occurred in the technological zone of the Talnakh concentrator owned by Norilsk Nickel.

The pre-investigation check is reported by the press service of the Main Investigative Department of the Investigative Committee for the Krasnoyarsk Territory and Khakassia. It is reported that at present, the pumping of the liquid is stopped, the extent of contamination is estimated.

A little earlier, a source of Interfax reported about stopping the leakage of spent sludge in the vicinity of the Norilsk Nickel processing plant.

"The leak occurred during an attempt to pump fluid from the tailing dump into the tundra. The process took place without proper coordination, with the risk of waste entering the surrounding water bodies," the agency’s source said.

Novaya Gazeta and environmentalists of the Greenpeace Russian branch reported on the state of emergency that occurred on the morning of June 28.

“Nornickel is now dumping industrial waste into Lake Pyasino”, reads the heading of Novaya. According to the publication, the drained liquid contains heavy metals, sulfur dioxide and surfactants.

Almost a month ago, on June 29, a major accident occurred at CHPP-3, owned by the Norilsk-Taimyr energy company, which is part of the Norilsk Nickel structure. The country's leadership found out about this only a few days later. Russian President Vladimir Putin expressed indignation that information had to be obtained from social networks. The accident, which led to the ingress of diesel fuel into local rivers, was declared an emergency on a federal scale. The leadership of the CHP was detained, several criminal cases were instituted. After the accident, oil products penetrated the soil by at least 2-5 cm, as well as into Lake Pyasino.