Posted 21 февраля, 13:29
Published 21 февраля, 13:29
Modified 21 февраля, 16:46
Updated 21 февраля, 16:46
Anthony Blinken called the decision "very annoying and irresponsible". He said that the United States will continue to closely monitor Russia's actions in order to be confident in its own security and the security of allied countries. His words are quoted by NBC News.
It's worth reminding that the suspension of participation in the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty was announced earlier on Tuesday by Russian President Vladimir Putin. The President noted that the country does not withdraw from it, but only suspends participation. According to the Russian president, the decision was provoked by the actions of the United States. The President noted that Western countries want to inflict a strategic defeat on Russia and inspect Russian military facilities. However, Russia will not go for it.
After this statement, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg called on Russia to think again about this. "I urge Russia to reconsider this decision and return to compliance with the existing agreement", - he said. According to him, by its decision, Russia "will eliminate the entire architecture of arms control".
In August last year, Russia already notified the United States of the temporary withdrawal of its facilities from inspection under this treaty. The decision on this issue was made after unilateral US proposals, which effectively deprived Russia of the right to carry out inspections on American territory.