The incident took place in a boarding house named after Maistrenko, located in the village of Shirokaya Balka. 46 teenagers of 15-17 years old, as well as 11 accompanying adults, came here for training camps from Crimea. The first symptoms of poisoning appeared in children on February 18, after which some of them required the help of doctors. They were admitted to the city infectious diseases hospital.
According to Kommersant, those who were admitted to the hospital were diagnosed with acute enteritis - inflammation of the small intestine. It could have been caused by food poisoning by poor-quality food in the canteen. Rospotrebnadzor also launched a quality control of the provision of catering services in the boarding house.
Recently, cases of poisoning of children with poor-quality food in school canteens have become more frequent in Russia. So, in January of this year, lunch in a school cafeteria in Togliatti 24 students and eight employees were poisoned . At the end of the month, 29 schoolchildren were poisoned by low-quality pilaf in a school cafeteria in the Kuban. In December last year, over a hundred students were poisoned school food in the Irkutsk region. Experts believe that the incidence of mass poisoning of children in school canteens is due to limited funding for school meals.